Re: patches for Darwin /MacOSX

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:55:22 -0600, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, SciFi wrote:
>
>> If I did things right, three patches were no longer needed, cvs seems
>> to have similar fixes.
>
>> The others needed some matching done to the "compare" lines.  One of
>> the others had a hunk that was done better with the cvs changes.
>
>> It might be better if I update your bugzilla reports, to keep track of
>> the updated patches better?
>
>> I've done more tweaks to my own host.def file, then will build it with
>> your patches altered to match cvs.  I want xf86 to use my own built
>> freetype2-cvs, fontconfig-2.4.2, png-1.2.17beta, and expat-2.0.0 libs
>> etc. instead of the old stuff in the xf86 tarball/cvs.  ;)  For one
>> thing, the next freetype2-2.3.3 release will have some important ttf
>> tweaks & fixes, things should look much better.  I turned on and/or
>> up'd some freetype2 config parms, too, plus I want to try their new LCD
>> pixel support (I have a 23" Cinema HD thing here ;) ).
>
>> Crossing fingers... ah-oh, it already stopped while linking libXft:
>> can't find a couple Fc symbols but the correct -L/-l parms are right
>> there. ...grrr...  Ain't xf86 keeping up with the latest APIs & stuff
>> being done to projects it depends on? ... :( ... maybe I'll switch to
>> x.org ...
>
> Well, you can do that.  But, AFAICT there has been little to no activity
> on its Darwin port for the past two years either.

The darwin stuff wasn't my main concern.  I was thinking
freedesktop.org houses the fontconfig project these days, and
together with x.org, they might have dealt with the changes in the
freetype2 project, namely the extreme disuasion of using
"internal" headers & APIs etc. anymore.

> A few more comments here ...
>
> XFree86 is strictly a volunteer organisation, not the 9-to-5 outfit you
> seem to imply it is.  As such, it cannot be expected to follow your
> schedule.

What brought this on?  I only wanted to make sure the cvs changes
are made available so we'd have them before you-all left for
holiday.  I really thought something was wrong, since the schedule
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.  And if something _was_
wrong, to please ask someone in charge to fix it before leaving
for holiday.  "Good Friday" is today, and I was awfully afraid my
post was _already_ too late for anyone to help fix the public cvs
server if it needed it.

As for volunteers -- who else but volunteers (such as me) would
spend holidays to work on this project?  Do you see how your
response seems twisted to me?  ;)  And 9-5 in _which_ timezone are
you implying?  ;)

> There are imake controls that allow building against external packages
> instead of the ones in the tree.

Yes I know all about them.  Guess what?  We'll need more patches
to coax the "internal" headers of freetype2-2.3.x to be usable by
xfree86-cvs.  The Freetype2 folks really don't want anyone doing
that anymore, but they realise the deep-down nature of X11 needs
to access those levels, so they left some holes that we could slip
thru.  I'm hoping the patches won't need #ifdef'ing too much, but
the biggest problem is that freetype2-2.3.x no longer installs the
"internal" headers, in fact their "make install" scripts will try
forcibly deleting any that were installed in the past ... so
someone will need to manually copy them over.  I love this kind of
in-fighting between projects.  ~sigh~  ;)

> The repository mirror you (and CVSWeb) have read access to is updated
> once a day.  When exactly I never remember, but in any case, I have no
> access to affect it.

It'd be nice if someone would find out and document it on the
aforementioned cvs instructional page.  Gmane's history of these
maillists goes quite a ways back, and I saw a few unanswered
complaints about this very topic.  So I had to ask again, again
thinking something was actually wrong somewhere.  ;)

But since you imply this is _not_ a 9-5 operation in whatever
timezone, please put a request thru to change the public cvs
server's operation so it'd be in sync a whole lot more often
during a 24-hour day, please?  I'd say once an hour might be
sufficient.

> Yves's changes are still under review (almost done), which means that
> they have yet to be integrated.

I thought I said that already, by showing how parts of them
failed against public cvs at the time of my post.  ;)

> Marc.

Anyway, I'm actually running with Yves' patches as I modified
locally here to match cvs as I had it in the previous post.
Together with what I was able to figure out to get xfree86-cvs to
compile against freetype2-2.3.x (my cvs copy is effectively the
released 2.3.3).  The latest fontconfig & expat versions didn't
need anything tweaked.

Yves' changes did not help getting stuck several times during the
build here.  I'll be documenting as best I can and send 'em thru
bugzilla.  I bet we'll be too late for Apple to put this into
Leopard, I have no idea what they're doing since I can't afford a
$pay-for$ ADC account there or get a 'sponsor'.  :(

Thanks for reading.  I need to get some shut-eye and will try
writing up later.