Re: patches for Darwin /MacOSX

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, SciFi wrote:

If I did things right, three patches were no longer needed, cvs seems
to have similar fixes.

The others needed some matching done to the "compare" lines.  One of the
others had a hunk that was done better with the cvs changes.

It might be better if I update your bugzilla reports, to keep track of
the updated patches better?

I've done more tweaks to my own host.def file, then will build it with
your patches altered to match cvs.  I want xf86 to use my own built
freetype2-cvs, fontconfig-2.4.2, png-1.2.17beta, and expat-2.0.0 libs
etc. instead of the old stuff in the xf86 tarball/cvs.  ;)  For one
thing, the next freetype2-2.3.3 release will have some important ttf
tweaks & fixes, things should look much better.  I turned on and/or up'd
some freetype2 config parms, too, plus I want to try their new LCD pixel
support (I have a 23" Cinema HD thing here ;) ).

Crossing fingers... ah-oh, it already stopped while linking libXft: can't
find a couple Fc symbols but the correct -L/-l parms are right there.
...grrr...  Ain't xf86 keeping up with the latest APIs & stuff being done
to projects it depends on? ... :( ... maybe I'll switch to x.org ...

Well, you can do that. But, AFAICT there has been little to no activity on its Darwin port for the past two years either.

A few more comments here ...

XFree86 is strictly a volunteer organisation, not the 9-to-5 outfit you seem to imply it is. As such, it cannot be expected to follow your schedule.

There are imake controls that allow building against external packages instead of the ones in the tree.

The repository mirror you (and CVSWeb) have read access to is updated once a day. When exactly I never remember, but in any case, I have no access to affect it.

Yves's changes are still under review (almost done), which means that they have yet to be integrated.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |