Re: Copyright grant for Adobe Times fonts?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Robinson Tryon wrote:

I've been working on a program that includes the Adobe Times font from
the debian package x11/xfonts-75dpi.  That package is assembled from
xfree86 sources.

Several other fonts that come from xfree86 have explict copyright
permissions -- for example the Bitstream Charter fonts, but I have
been unable to find any record of Adobe giving a license for their
'Times' fonts.  I asked debian-legal, but no one could provide me with
solid information about the upstream licensing.

The font files themselves have "all-rights-reserved" copyright notices
for Adobe and Digital:
Copyright (c) 1984, 1987 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (c) 1988, 1991 Digital Equipment Corporation.  All Rights
Reserved.  Times is a trademark of Linotype-Hell AG and/or its
subsidiaries.

The upstream license' section of the COPYRIGHT file for the
xfonts-75dpi package does not appear to contain any pertinent
information, other than mentioning Adobe's name in a long list of
contributors.

Does anyone know where I could find the explicit license from
Adobe/Digital for these fonts to be included in Xfree86?

You are confusing copyright and license. The license says how the work can be redistributed. The copyright says who has the authority to grant such a license. Rest assured that XFree86 does not include any font that cannot be freely redistributed. And by "freely redistributed", I mean without any incumberances whatsoever.

<flamebait>This excludes anything under GPL</flamebait>

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |