Re: OUT OF RANGE error using X and a new SONY LCD

I just finished trouble shooting a "Sync out of range" message
on my Viewsonic VG800 LCD panels, which take an analog input.

In my case, i recieved the message when leaving X, or when I toggled
from X to a virtual (text) console.

My problem was in an incorrect setting in my lilo.conf file, despite
the fact that upon booting, my console functioned fine.

This could be your problem too. for example, X may try to start,
but fail, then X sends you back to an incorrect console mode.

Note that two generous subscribers tried valiantly to help me.
But every one was focusing on X, when X was not the problem.

In the end it was by chance that i figured out the solution.
Below are the details. The row (color resolution) was not
important in my case. Instead, it was the column that was
important.

It might be helpful for you to know that before i finally
figured out problem, I tried many different HorizSync and
VertRefresh values/ranges - even ranges that went beyond
my panel's capabilities - and that X performed fine with
all of them (as long as i didn't have a typo in XFConfig.
Note that X may not be starting for you for this very
reason).  Also, i do not have any modelines in my XFConfig
file - i remember reading somewhere that these days, X
generates the appropriate mode line by probing the hardware.

Here is another twist to the story: it turns out that my
settings in the XFConfig file were affecting my console
mode! even when X was not running!  A minor problem that
i was having in console mode was that all the text lines were
shifted about four characters off the screen.  X was running
perfectly, but whenever I left X, the console was shifted!
Details on how i fixed this are at the bottom.

Apart from these two issues, X has always worked fine "out
of the box" for me, so i am not an expert in any sense.