RE: what linux distro for LPI?

Thanks Ernie!

-----Original Message-----
From: newbie-admin@XFree86.Org [mailto:newbie-admin@XFree86.Org]On
Behalf Of Ernie Schroder
Sent: 02 December 2002 13:46
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: Re: what linux distro for LPI?

On Monday 02 December 2002 06:19 am, a tiny voice in your head compelled you
to type:
> On top of that, I am a little confused about what I need to download from
> the ftp site. There appear to be iso's and then a separate folder for
'OS'.
> Also within these folders there are 2 disks for SRPMS (SRPMS-disk1.iso
etc)
> and 3 disks for i386. (i386-disc1.iso etc)
>
> I assume I need the three i386 iso disks i386 meaning Intel 386
compatible?

> I want to setup a basic Linux box running the command line eventually X.
> I want to provide access via OpenSSH and run apache, php and mysql.

Marcus,
	You will need only the 3 i386 disks to install the SRPM's are there for
more
advanced users who want to tailor make their applications.... Probably down
the road for you, though I suppose you'll at least need to have some
experience rebuilding packages from srpm for LPI..
	With the 3 iso's you will be able to install a fully functional server
system with or without XWindows. With KDE and Gnome, expect that you'll need
1.8 to 2 Gigs of disk space for the install, probably half of that without
X.
	All in all Red Hat is a good distro for you, excellent documentation,
easily
updatable, and a great users base of very active helpful folks.
	Lest I forget, I believe there may be a seperate documentation disk.... Not
a bad thing to have on hand.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free