Re: Some very basic How-to needed

  Someone just asked this same question with a nearly identical computer, the answer that someone else gave was to get the latest CVS version of Xfree86 and compile it using the make World and make install.

Joshua L. McDowell
xfree86.org

In a message dated 11/30/02 1:55:41 PM Central Standard Time, mmuto@pacesystemsinc.com writes:
Subj: Some very basic How-to needed
Date:11/30/02 1:55:41 PM Central Standard Time
From:mmuto@pacesystemsinc.com
Reply-to:newbie@XFree86.Org
To:newbie@XFree86.Org
Received from Internet:

Hello all,

After years of goofing around with leftover PCs and Frankenstien
combinations of older hardware, I decided to give RedHat Linux 8.0 a new PC of its
own. I purchased a brand new 1.8ghz Pentium 4 PC from Dell (whitebox
equivalent of Optiplex GX260). The system has an Intel D845GBV motherboard
with 512MB RAM, 40GB IDE hard drive, integrated audio, video &nic.

I installed RedHat 8 and the video won't work properly. I can't seem to
figure out where to get the drivers (Redhat?,Nope. Intel?, Nope. Dell?,
Forget it...) or even how to adjust the video so that it displays properly.
I'd hate to run it down at basic 640x480 VGA, but I can't get the GUI to
work well enough to change to that either. The 845 chipset was correctly
ID'd by the GUI installer, so I don't know what the problem is.

It's always been too much work to get Linux running, but I've always felt
that I've not given it a fair shake. Now I've got a system that would run
any version of Windows superbly. I've made the effort and the investment,
and I'm getting pissed off. Please help me if you can.

Mark Muto

Mark R. Muto

PACE Systems, Inc.

(978) 352-8949