Re: X Clipboard Xtremely Broken

On 27 Nov 2002, Erik Moeller wrote:

>On Die, 2002-11-26 at 17:29, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
>> On 26 Nov 2002, Erik Moeller wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >whenever I try to paste large amounts of text (>10000 bytes), e.g. from
>> >an editor (irrelevant which one I use) to a browser (also doesn't matter
>> >which browser I use), I get big problems. It doesn't matter if I use
>> >PRIMARY or CLIPBOARD, the pasted text just doesn't arrive. In Mozilla I
>> >just get a long delay and nothing happens, in Konqueror even stranger
>> >things happen, such as random characters appearing in the paste area. I
>> >also get the "random characters" effect in Opera after some testing. The
>> >only thing that tends to work well is pasting within the same
>> >application. Some applications even lose their clipboard contents when
>> >closed.
>
>> What distribution and version are you using?  I know there are strange
>> artifacts with Red Hat 8.0 where "emdash" and accented characters like
>> the French accent acute will prevent proper cut-n-paste.
>
>Happens both in Debian Woody and SuSE 7-8.0. Normal clipboard operations
>work, just large text causes lots of problems. I would be very surprised
>if the same operations that don't work on my system (e.g. copying 10000
>bytes from gvim to Mozilla) work on yours.

You're going to have to specify what you mean by "copying to Mozilla"
means.  Do you mean pasting into a cgi-bin based form?  If so, then
that's likely where your problem lies.  I can confirm that pasting 13K
of text _from_ Mozilla _to_ vim works fine for me.  This was using only
the standard alphanumeric characters.  As soon as quotes and
single-quotes were used then the pasting no longer worked.  Similarly
emdashes.

Oisin Feeley