Trouble with "dual mouse" setup..

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


I've recently set up XFree86 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with a dual screen.
The screen on the laptop is 1600x1200 and the other screen is a Dell 20" LCD
screen (I'm using the analogue port, since the Inspiron 8200 has no digital
output port). After some tweaking to get it working, and forcing XFree to use
70Hz on the external LCD instead of the default 60Hz, the display part works
fine and looks very nice.

My laptop has only one PS2 port (which can be used for either a keyboard or a
mouse). In the "one screen setup", I have used this for an external mouse, and
this has worked fine. In my new "two screen setup", I needed the one PS2 port
for an external keyboard. This meant changing the mouse setup. The Inspiron 8200
comes with a touchpad, which works as a "primary" mouse. Usually I plugged the
secondary mouse to the PS2 port, but since the external keyboard needed that
port now, I had to move the mouse to one of the USB ports.

Getting the mouse to work properly was not self-explanatory, and required me to
make sure some kernel modules were properly loaded. Initially, everything seemed
to work fine, and I had both the touchpad and external mouse being active at the
same time, using a "two pointer" setup in XFree86. The internal mouse was marked
as primary (using "CorePointer") and the external as secondary, using
"SendCoreEvent", as illustrated below:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Both"
	Screen		"ScreenLaptop"
	InputDevice    "PadMouse" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvent"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
	Option	       "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

Before I started tweaking this setup, it seemed to work, except the external
mouse seemed to mysteriously loose mouse events. For instance, double clicking
with the external mouse was very hard (no "double click" events were being
triggered). Double-clicking still worked fine on the built in mousepad.

Further tweaking, led me to use the "usb-uhci" module, and with this and some
further tweaks to the USB mouse definition, I finally managed to get the
external mouse working properly. But then I can only get one of the mice working
at the time. Only the mouse marked as "CorePointer" will work. The other one
marked with "SendCoreEvent" will not work. If I exchange the two, the one marked
as "CorePointer" will work, but the other one will not.

While this is "good enough" for most of my usage, it makes it hard to unplug the
laptop and keep working "detached" from my usual setup (I have to restart X with
the "CorePointer" mouse setting set to the built-in mousepad).

Any idea on why I am having these problems, and what I need to do to fix it?

I've attached the mouse definitions I use below for reference. Any help would be

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "PadMouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "USBMouse"
	Driver	   "mouse"
	Option	   "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	   "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
	Option	   "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option     "InputFashion" "Mouse"

Mvh, Marius Kjeldahl


*** To unsubscribe , or change message options, see:

[Index of Archives]     [XFree86]     [Xfree86 Xpert]     []     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Picture Sharing]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]

  Powered by Linux