Changing colors in xterm

According to the subscriber's list, there's a lot of people subscribed
(1286 non-digested members).  When I check the archives, there doesn't
seem to be much activity since December of last year.

Either there's something wrong with the archives, or everyone became
active somewhere else.

Anyway, my question is on xterm.  I can specify the colors of an xterm
with the -bg and -fg switches when invoking xterm from the command
line.  But I notice that at least one app is able to switch the screen
colors on the fly (specifically, pine does that).  Are there control
characters that can change xterm colors?  Is there a way to change
colors on the fly?
   === Al