notebook external video resolution control

We have a Dell Inspiron 5000E notebook with:

 ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2x video hardware
 UXGA 1600x1200 built-in LCD screen

Under Redhat 7.1, we:

 Ran XFree86 4.1.0-25.

 Obtained good 1600x1200 video output at 24 bbp on the notebook's
 native screen.

 Would occasionally use the notebook's external video port to drive a
 LCD projector at the projector's native 1024x768 resolution at 24 bbp
 after changing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to use:

     Modes "1024x768"

   rather than

     Modes "1600x1200"

   and toggling the notebook's <FN-F8> keys to direct the video output to
   the external port and turning off the notebook's local LCD screen.

This worked well.  We simply maintained two XF86Config-4 files -- one
requesting 1600x1200 resolution for the native LCD screen built into
the notebook, and the other requesting 1024x768 resolution for use with
the external video port connected to the LCD projector.

When giving a presentation with the projector, we would shut down
X11, temporarily copy the 1024x768 XF86Config-4 into place, restart
X11, and toggle into the notebook's external video output only mode.
After finishing with the projector presentation, we would shut down X11,
copy the 1600x1200 XF86Config-4 into place, restart X11, and toggle the
notebook into its native screen output mode.  No problems.

Then we upgraded to Redhat 7.3 with its XFree86 4.2.0-8 package, and
we find that we can no longer use the notebook's external video with a
specific resolution of our choosing.  No matter what resolution Mode
we place in XF86Config-4, the new 4.2.0-8 X server appears to detect
that the notebook screen's native resolution is 1600x1200 and insists on
driving both the notebook's screen and the external video with 1600x1200
resolution.  When connected to the notebook's external video port, the
projector attempts to convert the 1600x1200 resolution down to its native
1024x768 by removing pixels, and the resulting video output quality on
the projector is very poor.

We've experimented with some of the Section "Device" options in
XF86Config-4 to try to recover the control over external video resolution
that we had with XFree86 4.1.0-25, e.g.

  Option "NoDDC"
  Option "NoDDC1"
  Option "NoDDC2"
  Option "crt_screen"

but nothing we have tried so far has worked.

How do we set up XF86Config-4 under 4.2.0-8 to drive the Inspiron 5000E's
external video with 1024x768 resolution?

Thanks,
Bill McKie
NASA Ames Research Center
mckie@sky.arc.nasa.gov