Re: Using the intel 82845G video card

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Scott Hadfield wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm trying to use the i82845G video card with RedHat 7.3. However,
> there was no support for this video card until the most recent version
> of XFree86. I was wondering if it was possible to take just the driver
> for that card out of cvs and somehow patch the version of XFree86 that
> I'm using. The reason I don't want to just install the most recent
> version yet is because we've got about 25 computers all running this
> video card and I'm worried it will be a long and painful process to do a
> re-install for each of these machines.

It should be possible to just build the driver for that card.  If you can
get the source for the module and rebuild it against the glibc and
kernel-headers that you have installed on RH7.3 then it should be a case
of compiling it and moving the new module.o into
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.  If you do a Google search for the module
name then you _may_ get lucky and find out that someone else has built it.
AFAIK it would have to have been built against a compatible kernel and
glibc version though.

HTH,

Oisin Feeley