X Window Failure

If someone could look at the extract from the /var/log/messages file below, to see if you can see why I can't get my X window back I would really appreciate it. (Or if there is a quick solution like reinstalling X window that would be good too)

Basically, the only things that I can recall happening before the problem was I changed permissions to a lower user on the following:

/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/httpd

/etc
/etc/httpd

I have now changed these back to root. Also I was trying to unsubscribe from a mailing list in Netscape when Netscape crashed, and popped up an error window (Netscape Communicator) asking me to fill in what I did before it crashed. After I completed it I was not able to launch Netscape again.

I logged out and then could not launch X window.

/etc/hotplug/net.agent: net unregister event not supported
gdm (pam_unix) [1216] session closed for user root
gdm [1216]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: fatal X error - restarting: 0
modprobe:modprobe: can't locate module char-major-81
gdm [1208] deal_with_x_crashes: running the xkeepscrashing script
su (pam_unix) [5427] session opened for user nobody by (uid=0)
gdm [1208] failed to start X server several times in a short time period: disabling display:0
login (pam_unix) [1208]: authentication failure: logname=login uid=0 euid=0 tty=tty1 ruser= rhost= user=shutdown
iscsi:iscsilun shutdown failed
isapnp: no plug and play device found
sendmail:sendmail startup failed
iscsi [983] no targets in configuration file /etc/iscsi.conf
iscsi [983] invalid configuration check /etc/iscsi.conf
xfs: ignoring path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi unscaled unreadable
login [1198] failed login 1 from (null) for root, authentication failure

Please help

Scott