Re: No Core Pointer error

_ _ wrote:

> I've see people asking about how to fix this before but i never found
> a answer. This is the problem that im having:

> I just installed FreeBSD 7.1. I went through all the configurations
> that they showed on there install guide which also sets up mice,
> keyboards, monitors, etc. Now, I boot up the computer and everything
> is fine. I have my command prompt and can run everything. So I type
> 'startx' to get into the KDE GUI that i specified during the install.
> The screen flickers a few times then gives me these errors:

> (EE) Mouse1: cannot open the input device

> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"

> No core pointer

> Fatal server error:

> Failed to initialize core devices

> then it brings me back to the command prompt. I use a standard PS/2
> microsoft intellimouse (3 buttons). During install i set it up as Auto
> and PS/2 using a mouse port of /dev/sysmouse and the protocol of
> mousesystems. I do have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that i
> use for my W2Kpro system on the other partition but it has been
> unconnected ever since i started the BSD install. Can anybody tell me
> what needs to be done so that I can get startx to properly run? Thank
> you very much.

You may have a hardware resource conflict leaving your mouse with no
IRQ. Do

	cat /proc/interrupts

and see if IRQ 12 is assigned to /dev/mouse or /dev/psaux. If OK, your
problem is probably a defective /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
--
"To fear the Lord is to hate evil. . . ."               Proverbs 8:13
NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/