Problem

When starting my X session this morning there was a problem.  The usual
startup screen telling you that the window manager is starting up did not
appear.  The panel didn't load, there were icons on my desktop, but no names
for the icons.  Several nameless error boxes containing no words, but a red
circle with a white minus symbol contained therein.

I had to cntrl-alt-backspace to get out of X.  The graphical login screen is
fine.  I was able to log in as root with no problems, but no luck with my
regular user.  I created a new user, and had no problems with that starting
up the window manager.

Anybody have a clue as to what is going on here?
I'm running red hat 8.0 on an AMD XP1800+, 512MB DDRram, 40GB HD, K7S5A
Motherboard, and SBLive!.

Thanks.

Steve W.