right control key acting weird

Greetings....

I have run into a problem where when in X, regardless of which window manager I use, hitting the right Ctrl key locks up the keyboard.  So far, as a test I have modified the xinitrc file to only start with xterm (no window manager).  From here I can type normally until the right Ctrl key is pressed.  From that point on things get VERY squerly.  Here is a typical test case:

startx
(X starts with an xterm in the upper left corner (no window manager) )
mouse over the xterm and type normaly
hit the right control key
press 'a' - if there is text on the line, the curser goes to the first character
press 'd' - if done after hitting 'a', acts as the delete key until last character is pressed, then it exits X

I am running a Red Hat 7.2 system

I have also noticed that after the right control is pressed, often the mouse buttons bring up xterm menus... as would be expected if a control key was being held.  This leads me to believe that pressing the right control key is somehow 'locking' the control key.   I have looked at the .Xdefaults but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the ncurses4-5.0-4.i386 rpm (trying to refresh the terminfo db) as well as the XFree86-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm (trying to fix any keymap issues) but neither has helped.  It may be worth noting that this problem is not limited to xterm (it was just easier to test there).  No matter where I am in X, evein if I use something like the default KDE start script, pressing the right control key appears to lock the keyboard.

Any suggestions would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan