Sony FX190 Portable

Hello, I'm trying to customize the installation of my RedHat 7.3 on my
Sony Portable to better accomodate the display chip.  The portable has
an external display connector, and I want to plug a projector into it.
However, the projector only support 800x600, and the portable functions
at 1400x1050.  When I zoom down the display to 800x600 then it has a
virtual scrolling display.  And when I force X11 to start up at 800x600
I get snow.  How can I eliminate the snow, or how can I get the zoom
function to not scroll, because while it's zoomed down to 800x600 I
believe it's still virtually presenting a 1400x1050?  But, I think,
utimately I need to turn the LCD off altogether because I believe the
output is squished when it's turned on.  It used to be that way with
windows anyhow.  Having the LCD on showed up remarkably different than
when it was off altogether.  Oh gosh, I don't even know what question
I'm asking anymore.