XDM Problem

I'm running OpenBSD 3.1 installed from CDROM.
I can run  Xwindows as both root and user.
I now would like to start using xdm to initialize
Xwindows at bootup, but each time I invoke xdm
in any way (following the instructions in the 3rd
edition of _The Complete FreeBSD_ by Greg Lehey,
my terminal goes blank, and I have to reinstall
OpenBSD from scratch after restarting the
system.

What are the proper entries in the various rc files
to get xdm to run properly?

Thanks,

Dave Feustel