Re: Installing X windows 4

OOn Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Reagen Siedl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just installed X on my already existing "command line only" RH7.3
> machine. I installed every XFree86 rpm I could find, all the dependencies
> and the fvwm2 rpms.
>
> I am having trouble with starting X. It keeps saying that it doesn't
> recognize the "Section names", but these are the section names created by
> xf86config. After looking around on the net I found a few people with
> similar probs but no solution.

[snip]

Run the RedHat specific X configuration tool "Xconfigurator" from
the commandline on a Virtual Terminal.  Your included output references
/etc/X11/XF86Config and XFree86 3.3.6.  Those are the config file and
server for the _previous_ XF86 release.  You should pass the --preferxf4
flag to Xconfigurator and it will generate two files:
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and /etc/X11/XF86Config by default.  The "-4" is
what's used by the XF86-4.2 server.  Red Hat includes both for the case of
older cards that are not served by the new XF86 architecture yet.  If your
card is one of these then pass the "--preferxf3" flag to Xconfigurator.

Just to make that first point completely clear:  you cannot run
Xconfigurator from within a graphical environment (ie an Xterm).  If you
are starting X by doing a "startx" from a VT in runlevel3, then kill the X
server (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), if you are doing a graphical display managed
login with gdm/kdm/xdm from runlevel5, then open a VT with Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or
F3 or whatever) and run the Xconfigurator command from there.

Make sure that you have your monitor's name, vertical and horizontal
refresh rates and graphic card name and memory.

It should work then.

HTH,
Oisin