ATI Rage 128 Ultra driver

I have an ATI Rage 128 Ultra graphics card which is apparently not supported
by XFree86 (I am using version 4.1.0.1). I guess the easy solution would be
to install a graphics card that is supported, but I wonder if someone knows
about a way to make this card work. I am capable of hacking an existing
driver if necessary. Maybe work on a driver is being done, and a beta
version is available? Any comments appreciated.

Regards,
Wim van der Meer

PS I apologize if this question has been asked before, I have just
subscribed to this list.