Strange Problem, Can't move windows

Hello,

I am having a very strange problem and am trying to
pinpoint what exactly is going wrong.

After upgrading my system from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3, I
noticed that after a while, I would be unable to move
any windows.

I tried switching windows managers and the problem
persisted.  I tried different user accounts and the
problem persisted.  I reconfigured X and changed
resolutions, problem persisted.  Reinstalled XFree86
and the problem persisted.

I can reproduce the problem by opening up really large
image files in the Gimp.  The monitor will go blank
like it is not getting a signal or like power
management has kicked in.  I can wake it back up by
moving the mouse.  But once it has gone blank, I can
no longer move windows.

If I reboot, the problem disappears for a while.

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?  Any
suggestions on how I can further debug the problem?

Thanks,
Kirk