Re: Set Path in OS X

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Studio wrote:

> Just installed X86. However, I don't know how to set the path variable
> in whatever file is used by Mac OS X. Please help. A ref to Darwin stuff
> would be helpful also.

The path is a shell variable whose contents can be viewed by typing (note
that I use the "$" to indicate the command line prompt only.  Type the
characters _following_ that):

$  echo $PATH

This can be set either temporarily for the current session by using a
"setenv" command, or you can edit a file that is read by the shell each
time it starts.  You can find some more details here (your question is
discussed in the section "General Unix, Shells":

http://opendarwin.org/faq.shtml

You can get a lot of help on Darwin specific mailing lists ( I don't use
OS X nor do a lot of other people here, this list is only for XFree86
specific issues, not introductions to specific operating systems and so
you are less likely to get help here).  Given that OS X is a proprietary
non-Free wrapper over the Free operating system FreeBSD you may find a lot
of useful information about basic *NIX stuff here:

http://www.freebsd.org/

Good luck,
Oisin Feeley