Inspiron 2600 display problems

  First, I'm fairly new to Linux and any explanation
will need to be specific.  My friend just bought a
Laptop (Dell Inspiron 2600) and she is using it for
Windows XP and linux.  With some struggle, I was
finally able to get it to dual boot.  Anyways, my
problem is, when she boots to Linux, the highest
resolution I can set it to is 640X480, which really
sucks!  It has a 32mb shared memory, i830 chipset
video card.
  I was able to do Some research and found the
problem, even though I don't fully understand it.
It's something like, BIOS only supports 1mb legacy
(whatever the heck that means), so Linux only
recognizes 1mb of memory on the videocard.  I found
out there's a patch called
i830_driver-1mb-stolen-hack.patch  but how the heck do
I get it and install it?  I'm not even sure what
version of XFree86 is on it.  The OS is RedHat 7.3.
and I have the source disks too.  Does that mean the
laptop has version 4.2.0 of XFree86?  Can anyone tell
me step by step how to fix the problem?
-Ryan