Re: xfs hangs on boot

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Greg Kennedy wrote:

> Hey everyone.
> I downloaded Debian 2.2r7 and installed it.  For some reason they thought it
> was a good idea to include xfree 3.3.6 with it, which is not compatible with
> my AGP graphics card.  So I installed XFree 4.2.0 over it and now it claims
> it needs glibc 2.2.  I got hold of glibc 2.2.5 and installed that with
> linuxthreads (and surprisingly, the make and make install actually worked!)
> Of course not all is peachy.
>
> XFS hangs on boot.  It states XFS, then a directory name or something, then
> "listening on port 7100".  The computer sits there.  Screen saver comes on,
> and you can go back and watch the logon screen, but nothing happens.
> Ctrl+alt+del works.  In fact when you hit it it does a little more of the
> logon, then immediately shuts down.

Hi Greg,
it is possible that you'll have to recompile xfs.  I'm not sure, but I
would guess that a lot of other applications would need to be recompiled
also.  You don't state what version of glibc you upgraded from and I'm
afraid I'm not familiar with the glibc's in each Debian release.

It is also possible that you have not actually got xfs running.  Do a "ps
-ax | grep xfs" and if xfs is not there then try to start it.  IIRC Debian
uses the SysV-style "/etc/init.d/xfs start" type commands?  Hopefully
someone else on the list can contribute to confirm/deny this?

Anyway, the "listening on port 7100" indicates that X expects to receive
fonts from your local machine's xfs (x font server) which should be
serving them out and listening for requests on port 7100.  This is NOT
attempting to go out and fetch them over the network, it's trying to get
them from your machine itself.

This is specified in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  (check the location of the
file XF86Config-4 by doing a "locate XF86Config-4) in this section:

Section "Files"
	FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Comment out or delete this section and you'll only have access to the
built-in fonts  (see "man XF86Config) for more detail.

> Can I control-C out of individual logon processes?

Do you mean kill individual X-server processes?  If so then you could do a
"Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" (but that rely depends on whether or not you have
Zap/DontZap enabled in your config)

> If it does turn out that XFS is the problem...
> 1)  How can I fix it?

Do the comment/deletion suggested above.

> and 2)  If it can't be fixed, how can I turn off XFS since I'm just using
> the computer unconnected from any network (for now anyway, and we don't have
> a font server here)?

I would suggest that you use the apt-get functionality to update your
Debian distribution.  Get the machine onto a decent connection, apt-get
everything that you can etc.  I am not certain, but I am suspicious that
there may be a need for you to compile a lot of other programs if the
glibc version that you jumped from is sufficiently different.  Again, I
hope that someone else can confirm/deny this.

Hope I've helped.  Good luck.

Oisin Feeley