xfs hangs on boot

Hey everyone.
I downloaded Debian 2.2r7 and installed it.  For some reason they thought it
was a good idea to include xfree 3.3.6 with it, which is not compatible with
my AGP graphics card.  So I installed XFree 4.2.0 over it and now it claims
it needs glibc 2.2.  I got hold of glibc 2.2.5 and installed that with
linuxthreads (and surprisingly, the make and make install actually worked!)
Of course not all is peachy.

XFS hangs on boot.  It states XFS, then a directory name or something, then
"listening on port 7100".  The computer sits there.  Screen saver comes on,
and you can go back and watch the logon screen, but nothing happens.
Ctrl+alt+del works.  In fact when you hit it it does a little more of the
logon, then immediately shuts down.

Can I control-C out of individual logon processes?  Maybe I should try that.
If it does turn out that XFS is the problem...
1)  How can I fix it?
and 2)  If it can't be fixed, how can I turn off XFS since I'm just using
the computer unconnected from any network (for now anyway, and we don't have
a font server here)?

Thanks in advance - if you need more information let me know.

-Greg
["It doesn't matter to a hacker what he is working on - it could be a game
or an abstract math problem, but if a computer is involved, he is a god and
can do whatever he wants inside that world." - Alexey Pajitnov, author of
Tetris]