Dual monitors

Hello,
	Although I've been using X and linux for several years now I thought
starting on the newbie list would be a good place since I have some
rudimentary questions about supporting 2 monitors simultaneously under
XFree86-4.2.0-8.
	I have seen a windows box set up once to run with 2 video cards and the
result was a single desktop twice as wide as the normal desktop.  If one
runs 2 displays at the same time under X should I expect the same thing,
or do I have the option of setting the two displays to separate,
normally sized virtual desktops?
	My other question pertains to video cards.  At the moment I have a ATI
Radeon VE on my workstation/server but in the relatively near future I'm
going to set this box up to be a dedicated server and build myself a new
workstation out of one of the cool Shuttle Flex ATX kits.  Can I (or
should I) pull the radeon card and move it into the new workstation that
I want to put the dual monitors on or should I leave it be and get a
different card?  The Radeon I have has a DVI output and an analog
output.  (I know both work from different monitors over the years and I
have the cabling to run 2 analog monitors).
	Anyone's opinions or expertise is welcome.  Thank you.