Re: Can't view movies with 4.2 and ATI Rage 128 (Crimson)

Sorry I can't offer a fix, but I can tell you that I've had problems as
well.  I can actually watch avi's and mpeg's most of the time, but there
is often some distortion, especially as the movie starts up.  Furthermore,
if I try to watch a DVD using VideoLAN, I get a sort of lurching behavior,
and attempts at navigation tend to crash X.  All of this stuff happened
when I "upgraded" from RH 7.1 to 7.3; since a lot of stuff changed between
7.1 and 7.3, it's not clear to me that X 4.2 is the problem per se.

I guess my only suggestion would be to try turning off extensions that
you're not using or don't need; I had hoped that turning off DRI would
help, but in my case it didn't seem to.  You might also try adding the
line

	Option "AGPMode" "2"

to the Device section for your video card in XF86Config-4; I seem to
recall that some Rage 128 cards had problems with 4x AGP.  Frankly, I'm
considering just going back to RH 7.1, though, as this was a rather
disappointing upgrade (I've also had many problems with X crashing when
trying to use GTK apps, FWIW).

Good luck!
Matt