Update to XFree86 4.2.0

I am not able to get beyond the shell install script for XFree86 v4.2.0
on a Linux-ix86-glibc22 binary distribution release. When I run the "sh
Xinstall.sh" from the proper directory that contains all the required as
well as optional tarballs the return error I get is "extract.exe is the
wrong version for binary distribution and will not run" or words to that
effect. I have made sure that I have the proper binaries and extract as
well as extract.exe Xinstall.sh as well as Xinstall.bin and still
nothing. The FTP site has an "Updates" file and Errata and I have found
out that the latest build for Linux-ix86-glibc is dated for Jan 20 2002
my "extract" download  matches this date with a variation of some 20kb
over the other choices of "extract.exe" and "extract.bin". Initially I
couldn't get my Matrox G450 to spawn a KDE environment and still can't.
Researched and found out the XFree86 version 4.2.0 supported this card
but previous version didn't.