Re: Re: Welcome to the "Newbie" mailing list

> I've never had the problem of multiple modelines.  I simply define [only] the modes
> I want/need in the "Screen" section of XF86Config, like so:
>
> Modes   "1280x1024" "1024x768"

	This was the magic info I've been missing.  This is how to
restrict the ridiculous number of modelines that the X server discovers
on its own.

	My monitor is very, very fast.  XFree86 decided that the
largest possible window was 1920x1440, and included all possible default
mode lines at lower resolutions at all possible display depths.
The number of total modes that results is truly staggering.

        It therefore also sets the "Virtual" keyword automatically, making
the virtual screen size 1920x1440 at all resolutions in all modes.
Specifying a "Modes" line at least limits the size of the virtual screen
to the size of the largest mode.

	"ViewPort 0,0" sets the initial viewport to the upper left corner
of the virtual screen, so it looks like they're the same size.  As
soon as you move the cursor off the bottom or off to the right,
you'll find out differently, if they are different.  Or, so says
the documentation, which I finally found.

	If there's a way to specifically prevent the use of a
virtual screen, I don't know what it is.  Anybody?

Mike O'Brien