Re: X probs (many)

8/4/2002 2:52:20 AM, "Bruno BUREL" <brunoburel@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Your original mail was crazily formatted, and I have snipped most of it.  Here's
what I see in these files (I am a newbie, use FreeBSD, and am unfamiliar with
your specific hardware):

>    Hello !
>
>    After installing XFree 4.2 and Nvidia Drivers I stil have problems !
>    Config : Pentium VI on Asus P4TE motherboard 768Mo RAM Hercules 3D
>    prophet Geforce2 GTS

>    Section "InputDevice"
>
>    Identifier "Mouse1"
>    Driver "mouse"
>    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

You may need:  Option "Buttons"  "5" , I'm not certain, but I include it and it works!
Possibly, the "Auto" protocol will work well, too.

--------------------
>    Section "Module"
>    # This loads the DBE extension module.
>    Load "dbe"
>    Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

Just say:  Load "glx" --->  your error log is complaining about the non-canonical
name you've inserted.

>>   (WW) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "/usr/X11R6/lib/
>>    modules/extensions/libglx.so"

>    # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
>    # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
>
>    SubSection "extmod"
>    #Option "omit xfree86-dga"

You may want to uncomment the line above, although I'm not sure why...

---------------------------------
>    Section "Screen"
>
>    Identifier "screen1"
>
>    Device "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
>
>    Monitor "Gateway|Gateway VX900"
>
>    DefaultColorDepth 16
>
>    Subsection "Display"
>    Depth 16
(i.e.)    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"

Unless you really use all of these modes and depths, get rid of them.  You could
edit your "Screen" section to include only what's shown above, since your default
color depth is 16; why include all the extraneous info?  This will give you these
available resolutions with 1600x1200 as the default at 16 bpp.

>    ViewPort 0 0
>    EndSubsection
>
>    EndSection

And this looks suspect to me, as well.  I have no suggestions about this problem.

>    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate a DMA channel
>    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
>    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate DMA push buffer
>    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
>    Fatal server error:
>    AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

I truly hope this helps, and good luck!  Hopefully someone a little more
knowledgeable than me will answer... ;-)

--
Best Regards,

Joshua Lokken
OMIC Portland Branch