Re: xfree 4.1. and "ATI RAGE 128 PRO ULTRA AGP"

8/1/2002 11:27:37 AM, david loaisa <loaisa@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I have downloaded the first of the debian woody isos
>and have installed it.
>Of course, my problem comes when starting the X
>windows. Can any one tell me whether is my card
>supported or any way to make my card work. May be
>installing xfree86 4.2, which is not contained in the
>debian woody cd set actually?
>I think, but not sure, the chipset for my card is
>"Rage Pro II" and not "Rage Pro" due to the "Ultra"
>extension (more resolution capabilities, I think). For
>your reference, Windows OS identifies my card as "Rage
>Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 pro". It has 32 Mb and Video Out
>option.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestion
>Jim

I was using the ATI AIW 128 Pro AGP(32 MB) when I first started using XFree86,
and what worked for me was to use

Driver      "r128"

in XF86Config.  You'll also probably want to build the drm module (if it hasn't been
done already).  There are a couple of places to look for specific info on XFree86
and these cards:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/ati.html
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/    # Enhanced XFree86 drivers for ATI cards
http://www.xig.com/   # Enhanced, non-free Xfree86 drivers

I hope this helps you, and that you have good luck with the card.  I think getting the
"advanced" features of the card to work will be tricky, but it should be an alright
card.

--
Best Regards,

Joshua Lokken