Re: xfree 4.1. and "ATI RAGE 128 PRO ULTRA AGP"

>From: david loaisa <loaisa@yahoo.com>
>To: newbie@XFree86.Org
>Subject: xfree 4.1. and "ATI RAGE 128 PRO ULTRA AGP"
>Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hello,
>I have downloaded the first of the debian woody isos
>and have installed it.
>Of course, my problem comes when starting the X
>windows.

what is happening? have you tried setting your XF86Config-4 file,
on Debian ( nice choice ), resides in /etc/X11/, there are a few
ways to set this file up, no matter which way you do it, you have
to stop xdm / gdm from trying to run. ( these programs are
graphical login programs and they control how X ( the graphics
program is simply called X ) runs and restarts - both gdm and
xdm will respawn X even if it is not configured properly
but that is beside the point

0. login at console, use root as username

[alt + ctrl + f1]

1. kill the display manager

# killall gdm
# killall xdm

2. configure X

# XFree -configure

3. save the output

# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-first-attempt

4. ah what the heck give X a try, save errors

# X 2> errorlog.txt

if a grey pattern appears it is a good thing

[alt + ctrl + backspace]

5. try again?

# xf86config
# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4-second-attempt

6. run X again

# X 2> errorlog2.txt

7. running X this way you may notice that there are no menus
windows or anything, just a grey screen, that is cool, we dont
care about a - Desktop Manager - at this point

8. shut down X

[alt + ctrl + backspace]

9. mix and match the 2 XF86Config-4-XXXXX files if need be, their
layout is very intuitive, if you look at enough of them you will
get it - if you are a total newbie editing text files at the
console should keep you busy - the mouse can cut and paste

10. which reminds me, the console mouse program - gpm - sometimes starts
automatically and sometimes this can interfere with X's mouse

# gpmconfig

11. finally, xdm or gdm whatever should work, i prefer xdm, on debian
obtaining xdm is easy enough

# apt-get install xdm

12. run xdm

# xdm

okay, this for total newbies, it is my aproach, i have been harassed
for this approach before,- it does one thing at a time, and clearly
separates the steps required - hope it helps

darrell

Can any one tell me whether is my card
>supported or any way to make my card work. May be
>installing xfree86 4.2, which is not contained in the
>debian woody cd set actually?
>I think, but not sure, the chipset for my card is
>"Rage Pro II" and not "Rage Pro" due to the "Ultra"
>extension (more resolution capabilities, I think). For
>your reference, Windows OS identifies my card as "Rage
>Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 pro". It has 32 Mb and Video Out
>option.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestion
>Jim

Greetings fr. darrell