Radeon(QD) 32MB SDR crashes

Hello all,

This is my first post to this list so please bear with me :)

I have recently installed Xfree86 v4.2.0 on my machine.
I am running an Athlon 1100 with 512MB RAM on a KT133 Motherboard.
agpgart is configured into kernel and radeon.o as module.

Whenever i run startx i get a black screen with some green pixelation
across the top in about an inch band. I also get a mouse pointer as a cross
which can be moved. On viewing the log for xfree there are no errors and it
would appear that the log says radeon card, drm and dri are all working fine.

Can someone please help me workout why i can get no picture??

btw. i have tried to startx with xdm and kde neither work :(

Craig