Re: network cards

fernando@usicomputer.com wrote:

> Hi Alex,
> I have this motherboard with two network cards onboard, I loaded RH7.3. When
> I was installing RH, the OS found the two cards(nic), I set them up with two
> different IP addresses and all the necessary information for our network.
> Ounce I finished the installation, I tested eth0 by going in the internet,
> which it work nicely, then I tried the same thing with eth1(I unpluged the
> cable from eth0 and plugged into eth1). After a minute or two I got a
> message saying it didn't find the site or server maybe be down and try later
> or something like that.
> Basically, I want to test that both cards work and I thought going in the
> internet was the best test for the network cards.
>
> when you say:
> "There exists exactly one route to your default gateway, either eth0 or
> eth1, not both."
> it means that I can only use one network card to go in the internet? is that
> right? Remember I am still learning linux.
> Thanks againg.
>
> Fernando

After unplugging eth0, you will have to change your *default route* to eth1 in
order to get to the Internet.  Are BOTH interfaces (eth0 and eth1) connected to
a router that is connected to your Internet connection?

After unplugging eth0, issue _this_ command:  /sbin/route

You should see which interface is displayed as the default gateway.
Additionally, instead of simply unplugging the network cable, try to "vary" the
eth0 interface offline (i.e. bring it down) and see if that will cause the
default gateway to be automagically switched over to eth1.  I doubt this will
happen, but worth a try.

Why are we discussing this on this mailing list?

Peace....

Tom