Radeon Mobility M6, Thinkpad A30p and gentoo 1.2 X problems

Good day.
I had XFree86 4.2.0 working beautifully on my ThinkPad A30p, at least
for a while. One day I booted up the laptop and ran startx, and got
dumped back to the console with some unresolved symbol errors from the
radeon_drv.o module.

I am running 2.4.19 with radeon and ati mods built into the kernel
from the DRM section of the kernel config.

I have tried compiling my kernel with the radeon and ati drivers as
modules and built into the kernel with the same result.
I have tried both the ati and radeon drivers, with the same result.

I am running Gentoo Linux 1.2, with a stock 2.4.19 kernel I nabbed
from kernel.org. This problem manifested itself under the default
Gentoo 2.4.19 kernel as well as the new vanilla kernel.

Attached are my XFree86.0.log and my XF86Config-4 file.

Any thoughts on what to do next?
I've run emerge unmerge x11 then emerge -u x11 to ensure I had the
latest version of XFree86, and of course tried different kernels,
different drivers, to no avail.

TIA

--
               -Kevin Hinze