wrong font resolution

> Perhaps I'm reading this backwards, but "dpi" to me
> means "dots per inch".  Hence, if you want a character
> of X number of dots to appear larger, then you would want
> fewer dpi.
>
> ie: If the character is 75 dots high, at 75 dpi it's one inch
> high, while at 100 dpi it's 3/4  (.75) inch high.

No. Screen size in pixels is always the same, 1280x1024. Therefore, if xfs uses 75 dpi and is requested a font of e.g. 72 points (1 point = 1/72 of an inch) then it will draw the glyph 75 pixels high. With 100 dpi, it will be 100 pixels high, i.e. physically larger because the size of one pixel is constant.

And besides, it's not the particular value that cause problems, but its _unpredictability_. With the original "75,75,100,100" setting it was equally unpredictable, except that it more often came up 100 dpi on power-on but was often reset to 75 on X restart. If only I could find a way to make it STICK with one value forever, even with 75 dpi, I would be happy to redefine all font point sizes in my applications to get the desired physical glyph sizes with that resolution.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.