RE: Re: No DFP Detected Updated

I had a similar problem earlier this year (and late
last year).  However it was a 3.3.* version.

What happened was that I didn't have enough space left in
/tmp for X to fully open.

I saw a reference to core dumps - I had to delete all those,
they're usually memory hogs and won't help anything at this point.

If you need to know how to find them, let me know.  I still
have that data here, someplace (I have no memory, but
computers have lots - luckily).

Here's what happened to me (from an earlier posting...)

Last month I wrote in because X was crashing at start up.
Thanks to Ted Spradley and Jarmo Paavilainen I tracked down
one culprit - not enough space in the root directory due to a
core dump file.  I pitched the file and got X going again.

About 10 days ago it happened again, even after following
the (very valid) suggestions to minimize root use.

What I found (finally) all via command line -

1.  I used 'df' to discover that '/' was 100% full again

2.  I used 'find -time -n' to locate all files that had been modified since
X started working again.

3.  I then used 'du' in the respective directories to find which files
were memory hogs.

4.  I found Netscape is located in the root directory.
Its cache file grew every time I used it, in any account.
the cache files had grown large enough to consume all space left
in the '/' partition.

5.  I removed all the cache files via the command line, freeing up
enough space to allow X to start again.

Hope this helps a bit.

Paul Sherman
Biomedical Engineer
VA Center for Engineering & Occupational Safety and Health
(CEOSH)
St. Louis, MO
Paul.Sherman@med.va.gov