color depth and video memory

I have a strange problem with my X setup, and I think I have narrowed it
to a memory issue, but I wanted to get another perspective.

My hardware is a Gateway Solo 5300XL laptop, with a Savage IX/MV video
chip and (I assume from the websites I've read) 8MB of video RAM.

My OS is Debian 2.2 rev6. XFree86 v 4.2.0 installed from binaries from the
xfree86.org website.

When I run startx (with a default depth of 8 (bits?) and a resolution of
1024x768 (native for the screen)), everything works great: twm starts,
the clock and the three xterms (the default setup in the system-wide
xinitrc). But when I up the depth to 15 or 16, and the same resolution, I
get 3 "copies" (for lack of a better description) of the twm-clock-xterms
setup side-by-side on my screen. My mouse moves around all three copies at
the same time. Or I can lower the resolution to 800x600 at a depth of 15
or 16 and get the same results.

You can imagine this isn't very conducive to work! ;)  My guess is that
the 8MB of RAM is not enough to run the screen at 1024x768. However, I do
remember reading that someone did get XFree86 running on their 5300. If
anyone has suggestions or corrections to help me get mine running,
I would be grateful.

TIA,
Cary