'xdm' can't connect to X server

	I've just upgraded from FreeBSD 4.2 to FreeBSD 4.6, and
with it, from XFree86 3.3.6 to XFree86 4.2.0.

	After some initial trouble getting the server running
(my LCD display didn't work until `Option "composite_sync" "False"'
was set), the current problem is that 'xdm' won't work, whether
it's started by getty from /etc/ttys, or by hand, as root.  It
starts the X server, all right, but then exits and restarts
continually.  The X log shows that it's rejecting the connection
from 'xdm' due to an MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE failure.

	What the heck?  Where's it picking up this cookie from, and
how could it be the wrong cookie?  I'm behind a firewall so I
could conceivably just turn off XAUTH, but I'd rather get this
thing working right.

	In searching the archives, I've found that at least two
other people have seen this, yet neither received any answers!
One gave up and quit running 'xdm'; the other hasn't responded
to my email yet.  PLEASE, if you know what this is, tell all,
and get the answer into the archives!

Mike O'Brien