Bizarre mouse behavior under 4.2.0

I recently upgraded to version 4.2.0 from v 3.x.

I made essentially the same choices while running xf86config, yet when I start X, the mouse operates in a strange manner. The pointer goes quickly to the edge of the screen as soon as the mouse is touched. The pointer hugs the edge of the screen, and moves errratically at all times. Selection lists come up often, as though the right button were being clicked.

While not using X, the mouse appears to move normally. I tried another mouse (different model, but both are PS/2 mice), and it behaves the same way.

Any suggestions?

Ian