Re: set up mouse on red hat

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running red hat v 7.3 at work and using a microsoft intelli ps/2
> compatible mouse. I tried to use the text mode tool menu provided in kde (by
> going to system-> text mode tool menu).
>
> HOwever, my mouse still doesn't wrok properly. I can't use my wheel on the
> mouse to scroll up and down at all.
>
> Can someone give any suggestions?

Strictly speaking your question would be better addressed to RedHat's
"valhalla" list.

Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to that the "Input Device" section
looks like this:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

This is what will be produced if you use the RedHat supplied tool
"/usr/sbin/mouseconfig" and selecting an IntelliMouse PS/2.

The Option XAxisMapping is to allow the central wheel to translate its
motion into two "up" and "down" buttons so that you can scroll windows
with it, etc.

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" may be replaced with "/dev/mouse" which is
fine as long as /dev/mouse is a symbolic link to /dev/psaux.  (check this
by trying "ls -l /dev/mouse"

 HTH,
Oisin Feeley