RE: dual screen

put the following in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

that ought to work the necessary magick. Note, that
KDE1 and KDE2 handle Xinerama stupidly, and with
GNOME, it depends on what window manager you use.
XFWM, Enlightenment and Sawfish work quite well.
Fluxbox I'm not sure about, but I hope it does (tabs
are just too cool :-). WindowMaker used to have some
problems (maximizing windows across both heads,
transients popping up in between monitors, etc), but I
think that's been fixed. AfterStep I have no earthly
idea about.
<aside type=offtopic>Is AfterStep even relevant
anymore? The last few releases looked pretty spiffy,
but were just too klugy for me.</aside>

As for KDE3, I don't use it (just installed it for the
ever-so-spiffy Konqueror) - but AFAIK, it has
intelligent Xinerama handling for a change.