My experience installing 4.2.0

Hi all,

I have a P-II running NetBSD 1.5, with an ATI 264GT-IIc video card. I just
downloaded and installed 4.2.0, which is replacing the X that came with my
version of NetBSD, with was 3.3.-something.  The next step I did was run
Xf86cfg, which I've never used in previous installs of X.  I was pleased
that it guessed almost everything. I did a little tweaking, and then it
wrote my XF86Config to /etc/X11/.  (I dont know where it wrote the rest of
my configuration files.  This is new of course, 3.x wrote it to somewhere
under /usr.)

when I quit out of Xf86cfg my terminal acts very strange.  There is no echo
to the console, etc. I ended up resetting my PC!

So I rebooted and then did an ./xinit.  No dice.  So I repeat the whole
cycle, writing the XF86Config to the "old" location, somewhere in the
neighborhood of /usr/X11/[...]/XF86Config. Same results. Same weirdness
after I quit out of Xf86cfg.

At this point I notice the little file called XF86Config.new in the working
directory where I ran Xf86cfg.  I quickly put 2 and 2 together, move it to
/etc/X11/, and it works!

All in all, I thing Xf86cfg is a relief after wrestling with the old
xf86config program.

As soon as I get the time and energy to tackle it, I am going to figure out
how to make secure connections to the X server from my Windows client and
also figure out how to get better resolution (I think X is using a lower
resolution than my video card/monitor is capable of).

I wonder why the terminal acted so funny after I quit out of the Xf86cfg
program.

Finally, IMHO, there are too many similarly named X applications/files. ie.,

Xf86cfg
XF86Config
xf86config

etc.  I'm not sure how else you could do it though.

Thanks,
Gurujiwan