XFree and nv driver

Hi everyone,

I am running Red Hat 7.3, kernel 2.4.18-4 and XFree86 Version 4.2.0. My
video card is Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64. Just now I am running nv drivers ( the
ones that come with the O.S. )My problem is that I cannot run X-window in
depth 16 and 1024x768 resolution without getting anoying but drawing. This
results in bad windows drawing on KDE and some lines on Gnome (xmms makes
this more frecuent) . When I open "Control Center" chapter on Nautilus Help
the hole screen turns ilegible with bad drawn lines all over the desktop.
Movin the window around cleans it. Games go really slowly.

I have tried Nvidia official drivers(2960) and X couldīnt even start because
of SCREENS NOT FOUND.

Anyway, I have faced that if I disable acceleration with nv driver on
XFree84-4 the bad drawing disapears but obviusly the system turns very slow.

Section "Device"
     Identifier "RIVA TNT2 M64"
     Driver "nv"
     BoardName "Riva TNT2 M64"
     Option "NoAccel"
EndSection

What I would like to do now is, disable just the minimun acceleration, i
mean, not use "NoAccel" option but try to discover what part of it causes
the problem. I had problems, as well, when tried to install Nvidia Detonator
drivers for Windows and just now my other partition ( Win XP pro) is running
a MSI drivers that gave me the best chance to get things going on. I have to
disable bitmaps and cursor acceleration because it is the only way to get
relative stability ( windows no crashes ;) ). So maybe, just finding out how
to disable this in Red Hat could give me what I am looking for. On XP I can
run 1024x768, 32 bits, and 75 Hz with no problem at all.

I am wondering if maybe my problems come from my configuration or my bios. I
have 1 AGP and 4 PCI slots. The AGP for Nvidia, the 1 Pci is empty and then
soundblaster,winmodem(unfortunely) and ethernet.

So... do you know how to disable a part of the acceleration, any particular
conflictive one? Do you think I should change my PCI configuration? Flash my
bios? another more intelligent thing :-)?

thanks in advance and sorry about the bother. Any suggestion would be great.

chamay

P.D. Attached, my XFree86-4. The log does not report any EE or WW.

______________________________________

My box:

ZAAPA ZP/3VAAV ATX VIA F

Via VT82C686A South Bridge / Via VT82C693A North Bridge

Intel Pentium III 667 MHz.

DIMM 256 Mb

Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 (32M ), AGP 2X. Bios 3.05.0010

Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128

Puresoft V.90 PCI MODEM

OvisLink Fast Ethernet Adapter 8139ATX

Vibrant VM71RDA-E01. Hor. 30Khz-70Khz Ver. 50Hz-130Hz