Re: RE: Bad XFree86 drivers 4.2 in RedHat Linux distro 7.3 on Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop

7/1/2002 9:24:40 PM, rvs <rvsaldana@earthlink.net> wrote:

>HARDWARE:
>128MB
>32MB video memory ATI Rage Mobility M-4
>DELL INSPIRON 8000 laptop

computer
>when used with multimedia applications viewing videos

Correction:  It will "crash"  _your_ computer.

>First let me start of by saying the previous set of drivers for XFree86
>distributed under RedHat 7.2 worked much better than expected no
>problems have I experienced configuring a Dell Inspiron under
>XFree86 on
>RedHat 7.2.

>XFree86 displayed green multi-colored lines up and down the video
>screen. The only way to view a video was to restart a second run of
>the
>video than the green lines were not visible.
>

>Now, the crash that results with thiss set of drivers results when Xine
>or any DVD player is used to view a DVD Movie on this laptop.

Do you have transfer mode set to DMA?  DVD won't playback with PIO.

>When
>used Xine on this P.C XFree86 4.2 completely locked up and
>turned my laptop screen white blanking all images out. This forces you
>to reboot the operating systems. This has happened to me everytime
>with
>XFree86 4.2 series is a lousy release.

Sweeping statements like that are never wise.  I think there are folks out
there who are quite pleased with X4.2.0.  It works well for me.

>I am not sure
>How this XFree86 went from Good to Bad concerning video on this
>P.C

I don't think the most recent X version was developed with your PC in
mind, specifically.  From my, albeit limited experience, I'd say that each
version of X probably will act differently on any given box.  If your
hardware is supported, I believe you just need to figure out what needs
to be done as far as configuration goes.  BTW, you did not post any log
or config file, so it's hard for others to diagnose possible problems you
are having.  Then again, by the tone of the mail, you weren't looking for
answers to your problem.

>I am
>currently running XFree86 4.1-0.3 because it's the most stable at this
>time for this P.C.

Why fix what ain't broken?  If 4.1.0 works, then by all means, use it.

HTH,

Joshua Lokken