Window manager - choices

Hi

I am returning to the X-windows world after a gap of 5 years
working in an M$ environment.I feel like I am out of prison
but need to make some choices and would. apprecaite comments
about the differents options available.

My primary focus is system managment/programming combined
with a lot of web/network access. Reliability and
customization are key issues for me. The local network (when
it I have got it fully configured) will be primarily FreeBSD
V4.5 with some M$ systems. My own FreeBSD  machine is
running on 1700+ AMD with 1.5G of ram MSI - K7N420 Pro
m/board (not yet successful in getting the onboard video
chip to support XWindows but using Matrox Millenium II card
at the moment). A similar machine will be configured as our
mail server.

I want to choose an X-windows manager that can be to quickly
reconfigured to meet changing needs. Pros and cons of
different window managers please. I initially set my machine
up with KDM but have had some crashes resulting in a total
freeze up that would not respond to anything other than
power down. .

All advice gratefully received.

David