Re: Anyone else have any other ideas -- Problems running XFree86 v4.2.0 on FreeBSD

Hey James

>Yes.  I thought that XFree86 came with the drivers.  Is that right?
>Did you have to download a driver seperately from the XFree86 install?

I'm not too sure about this, cause XFree86 says that it'll support the card,
as long as you use the "nv" driver. I think this may mean you need to get
the driver from the nvidia web site and install it. Just last week i joined
this mailing list because i had an almost similar problem w/ my matrox card.
It said that it'll support matrox millennium g450 w/ the "mga" driver. But i
thought that this would be supported just by installing the latest version
of xfree. Thanks to some help of the guys on this mailing list they told me
that the "mga" driver that the xfree website was referring to needed to be
downloaded off the Matrox website. After downloading and installing the
linux beta driver from the matrox website and running 'XFree86 -configure'
from the /usr/X11R6/bin dir it seemed to generate the config file. That
config file i dumped over to the /etc/X11/ dir and then 'startx' worked.

Thus, try and download the linux driver for your video card (try the source
tar file at the bottom of the page). Unzip and install it (just follow
instructions on the INSTALL or README file) and see what happens. I'm
thinking your getting all the error from the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
because that "nv" driver needs to be downloaded from the nvidia website
(just my opinion, i may be wrong).

>Thanks man.  I really appreciate the help.

Hey not a problem :)

Desmond