xinerama on radeon 8500

I've been trying to get xinerama to work with my radeon 8500 for a couple
weeks now.  My system is as follows:
	MSI k7N420D (nforce) - Athlon XP 1600+
	Radeon 8500 (128 MB) - two 19 in. CRT monitors
	Debian GNU/Linux (Sid)
	XFree86 4.2.0 (prerelease debs)

I've followed the howto as best I could but I hit a big snag early on.
When I run the following command: 'XFree86 -scanpci' I get no output, just
a new command line.  I've tried running 'scanpci' and 'cat /proc/pci' but
they list just about everything as an unknown device from NVIDIA except
the last line at the bottom is my radeon.  There's no other card in the
machine, just the video card and the motherboard.  I don't know of any
other way to get the 3 numbers assigned to the video card to use in the
XF86Config-4 file.  I even tried the latest 2.5 kernel but it couldn't
make any better sense of my PCI bus.  So before I give up until another
version of X or a new kernel I hope someone can give me a hand.

Has anyone gotten XFree86 4.2.0 and xinerama to work with the Radeon 8500?

Is there any other way to get the PCI bus identifiers?  Do I need them?

I have gotten X to work on one monitor, although sometimes it just halts
the computer (new debs might help that).

Jeff Johnston

--please CC me as I am not on the mailing list