lost german umlaute after distro upgrade in certain x apps

One of the little things driving me insane in Linux:

I just upgraded from Slackware 8.0 to 8.1 and now have this problem:

I can't produce the german umalute φόδί in certain apps (not sure if they appear in everybody's mailer)

example: when I compose a new mail in my gtk-mailer Sylpheed, I can enter them as seen above in the message body field -
bit I can't in the adress field or subject.

Same problem in GnomeICU, my ICQ client: I press the key but nothing happens. The strange thing here is: when I send the
message to my chat partner, it appears on the other side - so they char is generated, it's actually *there* but it's not
*displayed* on my machine.

If anyone can give me pointers here?

Dex