hardware acceleration

hello,
	I recently upgraded X to 4.2.0 from 4.1. I am trying to find out how
to turn the hardware acceleration back on. I am assuming that it was on
originally b/c some of my more graphically intense programs worked well
before but now they run very slowly. I have a ATI radeon DDR AGP card.
	I searched the xfree site for 'hardware acceleration' and 'ATI
radeon' and found some FAQs and old posts. one of the FAQs mentioned
libGL.so and said that it needs to be linked in order for the hardware
acceleration to actually work. I upgraded X using the package manager in
mandrake 8.1. does anyone know whether or not the library linkage problem
applies to my situation? if it does apply, how do I proceed? if it doesn't
apply, what should I check next? I've looked at various graphical config
utils, and none of them mentions anything about hardware acceleration.
	and of the posts that I found, they were from the Xperts list. they
were long on q's and short on answers.

thanks,
	cyndi