Re: [Newbie]Matrox Millenium G200 Scrambled Display Help!

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 18:12, GK wrote:
> (WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xfc000000,0xe00000)

Odd... never seen this one before.

> VideoRam was not specified in the XF86Config-4 file, but seems to have been sensed at ~16Mb.

Do you know that you actually have 16MByte?

> Perhaps it is time for me to try the CVS thing.  It sounds somewhat complicated
> for a rookie like me, are there any tutorials or FAQ to help guide me?

Its not as hard as it sounds. XFree86.org has description of how to do
that.

> (II) LoadModule: "dbe"

Double Buffer Extension (if memory servers). Not needed unless you want
flicker free graphics. Comment out: Load "dbe"

> (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"

Not needed. OpenGL stuff, only used by games and some graphical
utilities. Comment out: Load "GLcore"

> (II) LoadModule: "dri"

Not deeded (Direct rendering interface), only used by games. Comment
out: Load "dri"

> (II) Loading sub module "drm"

Direct rendering mechanism (if memory serves). Just comment out: Load
"drm"

> (II) LoadModule: "glx"

Again OpenGL stuff, comment it out.

> (II) LoadModule: "extmod"

Basically support for not rectangle windows. Usually not used (comment
it out).

> (II) LoadModule: "v4l"

Do not know what this is, do be safe. Keep it (or temporary comment it
out).

> (II) v4l driver for Video4Linux

Ahh "v41" is video for Linux, temporary comment it out (to check that it
is not giving you trouble).

> (--) MGA(0): VideoRAM: 14336 kByte

16MByte (2KByte is hidden, do not ask me why).

> (WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xfc000000,0xe00000)

Never seens this one. Someone on the list?

> (--) MGA(0): No DDC signal

Odd, very odd. Im not sure, but isnt DDC plug and play for monitors. And
you monitor does not seem to support that. But the truth is Im not sure
what DDC is.

> (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> (II) LoadModule: "fb"

Why are you loading Frame buffer drivers? I could not see any fb stuff
in you config.

> (WW) MGA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xfc000000,0xe00000)

Again... fix this and your problems would probably be gone. How to fix
it, thats the question?

Dissable all your modules, just to check if that helps. If it did,
re-enable them one by one to find the one that is not playing nicely.

Sorry that I could not be of any more help :-(

// Jarmo